Baths are incredibly relaxing, but a himalayan salts bath benefits way more than just the mood. Let’s go over the benefits, as well as how to take one correctly.
“There must be quite a few things that a hot bath won’t cure, but I don’t know many of them.”
– Sylvia Plath
Most people will agree that taking a hot bath can be a marvelous experience. It relaxes your mind, body, and soul and gives you more energy to face another day.
There are many things that you can add to your bath water to create a more unique experience. Take Cleopatra, for example. She was rumored to take daily baths in milk to improve the look and texture of her skin.
Nowadays, we have a wide variety of ingredients to choose from, ranging from bath bombs to essential oils. However, today we are going to talk about our personal favorite – Himalayan salt bath.
Interested to find out why? Keep reading to find out all 5 incredible benefits you may have been missing out on while taking your bath!
What Is Himalayan Salt?
First, let’s talk background. Himalayan salt is derived from the Punjab region in Pakistan and the Himalayan foothills where it has been maturing for over 250 million years.
It is often called the purest salt on earth and let me tell you, it’s no joke. The only two processes it goes through are mining and hand washing, which makes it completely natural and unprocessed.
It is known for doing your body some great favors in completely natural ways such as:
- Natural alternative for table salt
- Foot soak
- Body scrub
- Natural electrolyte restoration
- Sore throat relief
DID YOU KNOW: Himalayan salt has a pink tint to it due to mineral impurities and the presence of iron oxide.
Himalayan Salts Bath Benefits
This benefit had to be the first on the list because taking a Himalayan salt bath can do miracles for your skin. Through the process of dermal absorption, your skin soaks up all the useful minerals.
For example, zinc prevents scaring, sulfur keeps your skin smooth, and chromium fights acne.
This helps to ease pain and inflammation. It also helps heal and relieve other skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis through hydration.
According to the National Eczema Association, when taking a bath, adding salt reduces stinging caused by water.
When bathing, the salt is stored in the upper layer of the skin and acts as a protective shield, which prevents your skin from drying (pruney fingers anyone?). Your skin will feel softer due to the salt’s moisture-retaining function.
DID YOU KNOW: The first instance of this type of salt being used for baths was during the 2nd and 3rd centuries B.C. in ancient Greece.
The “father of medicine,” Hippocrates, noticed the natural healing properties of salt when it disinfected and reduced cracks on the rough hands of fishermen.
Generally speaking, bathing is a relaxing experience that brings benefits of its own. Studies have shown that bathing regularly improves general and mental health, reduces anxiety, stress, and pain.
A himalayan salt bath benefits even more so because it contains minerals such as magnesium and calcium, which help relax and soothe cramped muscle and tissue.
Himalayan salt contains a range of minerals and a bath soak is a speedy and effective way to absorb those valuable minerals.
Many sources say that it contains up to 98 percent sodium chloride and the remaining 2 percent comprises of approximately 84 different trace minerals. These include potassium, calcium, magnesium, and more.
Himalayan Salt Bath Step-By-Step
- Step 1. Cleanse your body by taking a shower first.
- Step 2. Fill your bathtub with warm water that is slightly above body temperature.
- Step 3. Pour in about half a cup of salt for a regular relaxing soak and let it dissolve. For a more effective therapy session, pour at least 2 cups.
- Step 4. Add a few drops of your favorite essential oils (our top pick would be lavender or eucalyptus) for aromatherapy purposes.
- Step 5. Put some nice relaxing music on and enjoy. Soak in the bath for 15-30 minutes.
- Step 6. Slowly get out of the bath. There is no need to rinse off, just pat yourself dry with a towel.
During stressful times it is extremely important to take care of yourself and know when to take time to relax.
Now that you know why using Himalayan salts in your bath is great for your health and how to prepare one at home, it’s time to take advantage of it!
Have some bathing tips of your own? Share them with us in the comment section below. And if you’re looking for another unique way to calm the body, check out our article about the benefits of a detox massage.