Both Cerave and Aveeno claim to be excellent skincare brands specifically designed to help those with dry or sensitive skin.
But each has its different qualities and positives. So, which one would be right for your skin?
Cerave & Aveeno’s Brief History
Aveeno was founded in 1945 by Sidney and Albert Musher, two brothers who discovered the positives of using oats to heal dry and sensitive skin and decided to market their original formula.
Their brand quickly gained the interest of the Mayo Clinic dermatologists and now has scientifically proven formulas for improving the skin.
Cerave, on the other hand, is a more modern brand, only establishing itself in the market in 2005. This was originally created by scientists who focused on finding a solution for dry skin that would be kind to the skin surface.
Cerave VS Aveeno in General
- Cerave contains 3 essential ceramides to keep the skin hydrated.
- Cerave focuses on clearing up skin problems such as eczema and has received awards by the National Eczema Association.
- Both Cerave and Aveeno are classed as hypoallergenic brands, formulated for people who are prone to allergic reactions on the skin.
- Aveeno is made of natural ingredients blended to provide long-term benefits and hydration to the skin.
Cerave VS Aveeno Face Wash
Both Cerave and Aveeno offer face wash options that claim to be great for naturally hydrating the skin and removing any impurities.
- Cerave’s Hydrating Cleanser works for normal to dry skin and comes with a foaming gel alternative depending on preference. The formula contains hyaluronic acid to hydrate the skin and combat the aging process.
- Aveeno offers the Calm & Restore Nourishing Oat Cleanser made from natural ingredients. It’s a non-foaming gel and is a little thicker than the Cerave alternative. This means it can take a little longer to wash away.
Both the Cerave and Aveeno cleansing face washes are meant for daily use, morning and night to repair and regenerate damaged skin.
They are both hypoallergenic and specifically designed for people with more sensitive skin. This also means that they’re both fragrances free so there’s no possibility of perfume drying out the skin further.
The Aveeno cleanser is in gel form and doesn’t foam, so it can take a little longer to wash off than the Cerave.
However, the thicker consistency allows it to reach further into pores and repair any damage that comes with red or flaky skin.
The Cerave Hydrating cleanser is an everyday quick fix. It’s made from a combination of ceramides and hyaluronic acid to really hydrate the skin and wash any surface impurities.
This is great for sensitive skin and can have anti-aging benefits but may not be the best for deep seated dermatological issues.
If you’re looking for a quick solution to cleansing, then Cerave is the way to go. The formula is much thinner and easier to wash away than the Aveeno and feels lighter and more caring on the skin.
However, if you’re prone to red or flaky skin, the Aveeno offers a heavier and more hydrating formula to calm down the redness, where a foaming cleanser may cause further irritation.
Cerave VS Aveeno Moisturizer
Both Cerave and Aveeno offer moisturizing options for use in the morning and at night after a cleanse.
- Cerave’s Face Moisturizing Lotion is for normal to dry skin, offering a light covering layer with no greasy after residue.
- The Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Face Cream focuses on hydrating dry skin with its original oat formula.
Both the Cerave and Aveeno options offer a great daily routine and help to reduce problems with dry skin. They’re light on the skin give great lasting effects throughout the day.
Both options are also perfume-free, which is great for people who suffer will allergies or sensitive skin, leaving a soft and natural effect without causing a greasy sheen.
The Cerave moisturizing lotion offers an SPF25 to keep your skin protected from the sun’s rays.
This means that you don’t need to wear any extra sunscreen or protective makeup, so it’s great for sensitive skin that could be affected by the chemicals contained in other products.
However, the Aveeno cream doesn’t offer any protection from the sun and is a pure, natural, oat-based product.
The second major difference between the products is that the Cerave product is made up with hyaluronic acids and ceramides.
These form a protective barrier on the skin to seal in the moisture and keep the skin from dehydrating. This gives it excellent anti-aging effects but can feel a little heavy on the skin.
Whereas the Aveeno product is specifically made up of their signature oat recipe targeting people with dry skin to repair damage. It’s best for people with dry skin types.
When comparing the two creams, the Aveeno product is the cheaper option but focuses on dry skin types only. It also offers no production from the sun’s rays, so you will likely need to apply sunscreen or SPF makeup on top.
The Cerave alternative offers UV protection and more coverage across different skin types. It’s a little more expensive, but for this reason the Cerave is usually selected as the favorite.
Cerave VS Aveeno Sunscreen
Both Cerave and Aveeno offer great products for UV protection, which is important for skin health and moisture and for keeping yourself looking young.
- Cerave’s AM Facial Moisturizing Lotion also doubles up as a sunscreen offering an SPF25 and SPF30 version. It contains ceramides, hyaluronic acid and niacinamide to help develop a barrier to contain the skin’s moisture and block out UV rays.
- Aveeno’s Positively Radiant Daily Face Moisturizer offers a similar SPF30 version with soy extract. It gives moisture to the skin and prevents blotchiness, improves skin tone and avoids brown spots.
Both sunscreens offer up to SPF30, giving long-lasting UV protection and providing hydration to uplift the skin and give it a radiant, sun-kissed look.
They work to restore the skin barrier to stop moisture escaping and can work even after a long day at the beach.
Unlike other sunscreens, both products are built for sensitive skin so aim to not block the pores or cause rashes or acne flare-ups.
Although both products were developed to lock in moisture, the Aveeno does leave a slightly greasier texture on the skin due to the soy extract ingredient.
This means that it can leave the skin feeling heavy and isn’t ideal if you intend on putting on makeup after you’ve used it.
The Cerave alternative does a great job of being invisible, but this can compromise on some of the extra protection for sensitive skin, as the soy extract in Aveeno makes it a little thicker.
For sensitive skin, the Aveeno is the clear winner, especially if you’re wanting more hydration and to limit blotchiness.
However, if it’s a lighter covering that you need to go underneath makeup, then the Cerave is the one to go for.
Cerave VS Aveeno Night Cream
Cerave PM Facial Moisturizing Lotion Is formulated for people who have normal to oily skin.
It contains ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and niacinamide which all help to lock in moisture and restore the skin while you’re sleeping.
If this is accompanied by a Cerave face wash before and after sleep, it helps to enliven pores and remove dead skin cells to give a fresh and healthy skin surface.
Aveeno offers a few options when it comes to night cream. This allows you to select the right product according to your skin type and deal with any issues that you feel you have specifically.
- The Skin Relief Overnight Cream is formulated specifically for people with dry skin, rashes or eczema. It contains shea butter and the standard oat ingredients from the original Aveeno recipe. It helps to calm down rashes and keep pores hydrated. However, it may cause more oily skin to become greasy.
- The Aveeno SHARE Absolutely Ageless Restorative Night Cream is fragranced with blackberry extract and contains vitamin C and E. This isn’t a fragrance-free product, so might not be best for people with sensitive skin. However, it helps to even out the skin tone and keep brown spots at bay, helping you to maintain that youthful look.
- The Ultra-Calming Nourishing Night Cream by Aveeno contains oats and feverfew which helps to sooth sensitive skin and rejuvenate damaged skin. It’s great for skin at the drier end of the spectrum but can be used on normal skin without leaving a greasy texture.
- The Positively Radiant Intensive Night Cream Is designed for uneven skin textures or those suffering from acne or scarring. It has vitamin B3 and soy extracts to help repair damage and even out the skin tone to make the appearance of the skin a little more even.
Both Cerave and Aveeno offer creams to wear overnight. They specify that the cream should always be applied after a face wash to remove all dead skin and to open pores for repair.
The cream in both cases doesn’t need to be washed off, it will gradually sink into the skin providing long-lasting hydration throughout the night to allow your skin to repair itself.
All dead cells will then need to be removed with a facial scrub in the morning.
While Aveeno caters to specific skincare problems, Cerave offers an easy, all-around option for most skin types.
Cerave can even be used for oily skin, as it doesn’t leave any greasy residue after use.
Whereas Aveeno is especially designed for people with dry, sensitive, or problematic skin, meaning that use on an oilier skin tone may cause the skin to feel heavy and greasy.
If you’re looking for a great night cream to improve skin tone and texture and to keep you looking young, Aveeno is the clear winner here.
Aveeno offers many different products which are each formulated to combat a specific skin problem.
Understanding your skin is crucial and this is the best way to go if you’re looking for a long-term solution.
Cerave does offer a great night cream option. However, they go for more of a one size fits all approach, relying on the rest of the skincare regime to help with the overall improvement.
If you just want to buy a reliable night cream without all the accompaniments or extra products, then Aveeno’s range is bound to have something to suit you.
Overall, the Cerave appears to be the better, all-around option for easy use. It’s a carefree brand that can be used on most skin types to improve hydration and develop a healthier surface on the skin.
The ingredients are designed specifically to prevent oily skin while still maintaining moisture.
However, if you need a slightly more specialized skincare regime for especially dry or sensitive skin, then you should consider Aveeno.
The oaty inspiration and natural, fragrance-free ingredients are designed to breathe a little extra life into the skin, enliven pores and give a smooth and even tone.
It’s also great for aging skin to prevent blotches and brown spots. If you have oily skin, then Aveeno possibly isn’t the right choice for you.